My Summary of 2012


In the past few years, it has become a ritual of sorts for me to take a deep thought and to reflect on some eventful moments that happened in 2012 and before the clock strikes past midnight into the new year, I will upload my last posting of the year.

In August, I left my job at New Century Tours though I have been planning to leave for quite a while.  Before I slipped into comfort zone  and losing passion, I decided to to take the plunge - quit.  Of course, some disagreement in opinions with someone above me did hasten my decision to move out.  Do I regret?  Some concerned friends did advise me to seriously consider my decision, given my half century age, stable job won't come easy.  I have had experienced many failures before and by now, I should know better to pre-empt what lies ahead if things do not go as planned.  I have learnt that one has to manage one's own life and face up to whatever challenges that may head our way, like it or not.  For as long as we are willing to work, be flexible and the ability to adapt to any form of environment, one can easily get by.  If any, I have no time to regret once I have made my decision to move out but to do my best and hope for the best outcome.  Admittedly, it is not going to be easy going. 

If there is any regret for 2012, it is the passing of some friends.  First, my former secondary teacher, Mr Samuel who passed away in Feb this year and followed later, his sister.  My teacher passed away in K.L. while visiting his ageing sister.  Some of his 'so-called' old friends who knew his passing but simply feigned ignorance.  All they did was to make a call to Singapore High Commission in K.L. informing the officials that a Singaporean has passed away and they expected the Singapore government to take care of his cremation proper.  Some may find it hard to believe but unfortunately, it is true.  I can only think they might be afraid to foot his hospitalisation and cremation bills, thus best to stay away.  My teacher was never married and his only kin was his 90 plus year old sister who herself was suffering from dementia (she too passed away in November this year).  When a classmate, Ragu and I heard about his abrupt passing in K.L. and the body was still left unclaimed though some of his Malaysia old friends could have taken the initiative to do the needful, we did what we could to claim his body and performed the last ritual for him.  One thing I find it hard hard to stomach was that before his body was even sent for cremation, his 'so-called' old friends who suddenly turned up at the funeral parlour and started to talk about his estate in Singapore,  his sister's property in K.L. (she was a widow and never had children) and the need to take care of his ageing sister.  I truly believe my teacher had been an easy target by his old friends who are fully aware of his lacklustre behaviour and poor planning for himself and his sister and they read him like a book.  Without a doubt, he did not leave a will.  With his passing and later his sister too, some of his Malaysian friends managed to forge documents by getting his poor sister to make a thumb print authorising someone to act for her interest.  She was already not her normal self as she was suffering from dementia.  She was at their mercy.  Much to my dismay, her terrace house in K.L. was sold while she was still alive and all the proceeds went to these scheming friends of his.  We did what we could to stop them, even going to the extent of filing a police statement against them but what can we do in a foreign land when the law can be bent to benefit these schemers.  If there is God, I hope they will meet their judgment one day.   

Another person whose abrupt passing did affect me greatly whenever I think of him.  George should be alive if he didn't come along with me for a cycling event in Bintan in August this year.  A very careful person who at the slightest discomfort, would make a trip to see a doctor but a fatal heart attack took his 51 years of life.  If there is any solace, George died doing the one thing he liked and that was cycling.  The day before his passing, he was all smiles in the morning, posing and taking pictures along the way.  I will always remember him for he was always there listening to all my grouses and sometimes had to take my 'swipes' at him.  He was definitely one of my good friends and I still miss him dearly. 

It is not a fantastic 2012 for me, if any I would say just 'so so'.  But  I am glad that I did help organised few charity events and perhaps the most satisfying one is the two back-to-back event, Red Cross Home For The Disabled and Heart-To-Heart Service with some friends from SANL meet-up in November this year.  I may not have plenty money to donate but in my small way, I utilised my spare times to help in whichever way possible.  I will continue to help whenever I can.  I feel good if I can contribute my services for the less fortunate ones. 

My wish for 2013...well, to stay fit & healthy and only then, I can continue to be useful as a person.  Perhaps with some trepidations, I am looking forward to new challenges as we usher into 2013. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sinking Vessel

Gunung Belumut Climb

Hike Up Gunung Pulai and Kangkar Pulai Fruit Farm Tour