Friday, October 10, 2008

Two Races In Six Days

Ran two races in six days, the 4km 'Run For Hope' on 5 Oct organised by the National Cancer Society and the 6.6km Maritime Nautical Run this morning by Maritime Port Authority (MPA). Both two races were held at East Coast Lagoon. While the former was mainly a social run for the cancer charity fund raising, the latter was more competitive in every aspect.

Both events were held in the morning, flagged off at about 0800 hrs. The weather on 5 Oct was so cool, quite cloudy though. It was a relaxing affair for me, I did not have to go all out to complete the 4km race in my best time as I was pacing my running partner, WK who was running in such race for the first time. The weather, though threatening to rain had held out well throughout the race. The run was not exhaustive for me but still sweat poured easily. WK, in only 3 practices prior to this run had never covered more than 4km in one go but in this race, she was able to hold her own till the end. What a finish it was, lesser than 30 mins it took and best of all, among the early batch of runners too. Oh yes, rain came after the race. By then, we had a hearty breakfast in Holland V.

The Singapore Nautical Run was actually a last minute entry for me. Yesterday evening, Chua called me to replace one of his colleagues who had taken ill. He needed to find two replacements. Unable to get the last replacement at this hour, he summoned his school going son, just 13 year-old to fill up the big shoes of an adult. Poor son of his, have to do his father's bidding and what a tough father he is. The participants were mostly from the maritime industry competing either in individual or team event. Ours was a team event under BatamFast, comprising a team of 6 persons. Flagged off at 0815 hrs by Transport Minister Raymond, the heat from the morning sun was already felt. I shot off leaving my team chasing, opened my pace and was holding well for at least 4km. Paul, the angmoh MD of BatamFast was just behind me throughout and slowly but surely, he sped past me. Certainly, he is the fitter one. The morning heat, unlike the last Sun race, was getting into me by now. I decided not to push myself too much, pulled to a halt and started walking. After a short breather, I continued running. I still have 2km left but it seemed like eternity to me, coupled with the unforgiving heat not wanting to go away. I stopped for 2 more times to re-charge and finally, with the ending within sight, I drew out all my energy to dash past the finishing line. It was slighly over half an hour, not a bad time for an old man like me. The only one finished ahead of me in my team was Paul, he was waiting for him at the finishing line and not long later followed by Chua and the rest of the pack. Admittedly, this run was by far the toughest and longest this year despite all the training, mostly on the treadmills. I reckon, I still have to work hard on my stamina. This serves as a litmus test to my ultimate challenge for year 2008, the 10km Stanchart run in December and 55 mins, though daunting remains my target.

All friends, wish me luck.

No comments: